- 2012 (our goal) – RSPCA Qld Animal Care Campus will expand to include a state-of-the-art Education Centre devoted to the gathering of minds to improvement animal welfare in Australia.
- 1876 – The Queensland Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was first formed at a meeting in the Chamber of Commerce, Town Hall, in Brisbane on 11 September. Unfortunately, public interest was low and the Society folded.
- 1883 – On 23 August, the Society was reformed under the Presidency of the Mayor of Brisbane, Alderman A R Byram.
- 1890 – The Constitution of the Society was amended to include protection for children and the Society changed its name to the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty.
- 1901 – The Society took a leading role in the move for more effective legislation to prevent cruelty to animals, culminating in the passage of the Animals Protection Act in 1901.
- 1920 – In the early years of the twentieth century, it became increasingly obvious that the Society needed some kind of refuge where animals could be cared for until new homes could be found for them. On 4 March 1920, 5 acres of land at Yeronga were set aside as a Reserve for Refuge of Aged and Starving Horses and Lost and Strayed Dogs. This Reserve is now the site of the present RSPCA headquarters and shelter at Fairfield.
- 1925 – The second Animals Protection Act was passed by the Queensland Parliament. Up until then, the Society had no legal standing and its officers no more authority than any other citizen. The new Act gave legal status to the Society and specific powers to its Inspectors.
- Late 1920s – Cats were also being accepted at the Refuge.
- 1951- The annual intake of dogs and cats at the Refuge had increased to 9,241. Over time, extra accommodation and facilities were added so that all types of domestic pets, farm animals and wildlife could be accepted.
- 1963 – The administrative headquarters of the Society moved from the city into a new building at the Fairfield Refuge, as the Society gradually extended its operations throughout the State, with branches and refuges opening in regional centres.
- 1970 – The involvement in the protection of children and older people ceased.
- 1974 – A devastating flood hit Brisbane, inundating all animal accommodation at Yeronga and causing serious financial loss to the Society as the premises were not covered for flood damage. Every animal had to be evacuated during the night.
- 1978 – Brisbane City Council opened a desexing clinic for neutering animals on the Fairfield Refuge site.
- 1994 – The inaugural RSPCA Million Paws Walk was held in Brisbane and was so successful it went national in 1996.
- 2001 – The Animal Care and Protection Act was passed, strengthening the laws against cruelty to animals and substantially increasing the penalties for mistreating animals.
- 2002 – The State Government committed $2.5 million dollar-for-dollar funding towards substantial capital works in upgrading refuges throughout Queensland.
- 2002 – The Society’s new mobile classroom, known as the EMU (Education Mobile Unit), was launched.
- 2002/3 – The Fairfield Refuge took in a total of 19,645 animals, consisting of 6,996 dogs, 8,750 cats, 10 horses, 605 livestock, 2,227 wildlife, 610 other small pets, and 447 birds. The total intake for all the Queensland shelters for 2002/3 was 33,984 animals.
- 2008 – RSPCA Qld welcomed a pledge of a $19 million lead gift from the Queensland Government towards the construction of the RSPCA Qld Animal Care Campus, to be built at Wacol. In an Australian first, this purpose-built facility will combine state-of-the-art shelter care with on-site headquarters for an expanded, state-wide Humane Education Program. Due for completion at the end of 2011, the new Campus will replace our Fairfield Shelter.
- 2012 – RSPCA Qld launches its Animal Care Campus at Wacol, which will revolutionise animal welfare across the state, and will be a vital tool in delivering care for animals, educating people and improving animal welfare in Queensland.
- 2012 – RSPCA Qld Animal Care Campus houses a 24hr Wildlife Hospital, devoted to the improvement of welfare and care for all wildlife in Queensland.